Wednesday, June 9, 2010

New Updates





Sorry for the lack of post lately. My computer was at the computer store being fixed.

Things have been going ok since Craig came home. He talks nonstop and we all know that is not normal. He also likes to go up to perfect strangers and start up conversations. He said he just knows they want him to go and talk to them. He has a hard time sleeping. Nighttime seems to be the worst time of day for him. He loves to sleep on his left side and that's the side he got hit on so every time he rolls over in bed he is in pain. He has been having nightmares and he has a hard time riding in a car. He keeps thinking someone is going to hit us. I wonder why!?!

We started his many doctor appointments. Yesterday we spent six hours on doctor's appointments today it was two. He has to have three different types of therapy, OT, PT and speech, twice a week. That is all in addition to the regular doctors appointments. This summer is going to fly by! :( (Since summertime is my favorite time of year I don't want it to fly by!)

Craig saw the had surgeon yesterday. He took off his big bulky cast, took out the stitches and recasted his hand. The doctor said he has nine pieces of titanium in his thumb. One metal plate, 4 regular screws and 4 small screws. The doctor decided to put a cast on his hand instead of a brace so that it has more time to heal right. He said he was working with bone crumbs and there isn't much left to work with if it doesn't heal right. I tried to talk him into a fun color cast. He chose the conservative blue in case he had to go into work before he got it taken off. I tried to remind him he won't be working for a while but he still didn't want a wild cast just in case they wanted him to come in.

The OT and Speech therapist he has met with so far have been impressed by how well he is doing. His long term and short term memory testing has been just fine.

Speech said they won't need to work on his speaking ability just his speed of processing and his insight into situations. She said the head injury is what is making him talk A LOT. She would ask a simple question and he would give a paragraph for an answer. All of that is normal for a head injury and should go away with time. (keep your fingers crossed)

Ot is also going to work on his processing skills just in different ways. He had to do the test where they show you a tray of items for 90 seconds and then they cover it back up and you have to tell them what is on the tray. Right after he got 13, fifteen min later he got 19 and 24 hours later he got all 20. I couldn't even remember all 20! They were all impressed.

1 comment:

  1. You don't know me, but my mom Ruth Ann Baker is in your ward and she gave me a link to your blog. I also was friends with your friend Melinda Cheney in high school. Anyway, I just read through Craig's story and was really touched by all of it. My husband commutes by bike to work every day, and this is my biggest fear, that he will be hit by a car. Drivers just don't pay attention to cyclists! I am glad that Craig is recovering and I hope in time he makes a full recovery. I know the Lord watches over all of us!

    ReplyDelete